Thursday, July 09, 2009

My due date!

Today is my due date for Isaac. I can't believe he is already a week old. He is doing so well. He had a very rough first couple days before my milk came in and after his circumcision but is feeling much better now. He is always smirking and smiling. I know they are not real smiles yet but it makes me smile every time he does it. 

In honor of my due date I thought I would post Isaac's birth story. We left church and went to Dairy Queen and had dinner and some ice cream. By this time the contractions were coming every 5-6 minutes  but still not very strong. We headed home and put the girls to bed and hung out watching some TV while timing the contractions. We timed them for a few hours and they stayed consistent but the contractions were getting a little more intense so we called the girls babysitter and she came over at 1:00 in the morning to stay with the girls. We headed to the hospital and they got me checked in and we found out that I was still dilated to a 5 so they had us walk for an hour and then checked again and I was now a 6 so they admitted me. The nurse that checked me said that it didn't feel like head when she checked me like it did the first time so she got the ultrasound machine out and looked and he was head down but she thought his hand might be on his head which would make it hard for me to dilate but she couldn't tell for sure. They got me in a room and I labored for a few hours and I was only at a 7 by then so they said they would break my water and everything would probably go fast after that. My midwife came in to break my water but checked me first and she thought that she felt bone instead of his head so they got the ultrasound machine in there and checked sure enough his hand was on his head so that was what was causing everything to slow down. She told me that she could not break my water with his hand there and if he wouldn't move his hand I would have to have a c-section. I of course was very upset and started saying lots of prayers that he would move his hand. They had me walk for awhile while I waited for the doctor on call to come in and see if she could move the hand manually but right before she came in the nurse checked me and said she didn't feel the hand there anymore so the doctor came in really quick and broke my water before the baby had a chance to move his hand back. After they broke my water things were still going slow until all the sudden I felt the baby move and then felt a pop and a lot of pain. Then my labor kicked into full gear I quickly decided I wanted a epidural. I was an 8 at this point and the nurse came in to do my epidural and I felt a little better but still felt a lot of pain in my right hip. About 30 minutes after this I was complete and ready to push. I pushed once and got his head out and then pushed again but his shoulders were a little stuck so they had to lay me all the way back and push my knees into my chest. His shoulders came out and I got to hold him right away.He was born at 11:35am July the 2nd.  He was lifting his head and rolling around while on my chest so it was hard to hold him while I was laying down. They took him and had to suction him out and give him some oxygen but other then that he was doing good. They kept saying how big he was but he looked so small to me but they brought in the scale and he was 9 lbs. 6 oz.! I couldn't believe how big he was. He looked so much like his big sister Devin. He is just perfect and loves to eat. I'm sorry this is so long but it was a long 12 hours. lol! 

No comments:

Followers